Thursday 30 July 2009

Plum season

Plums are in season now and this year's combination of a very cold winter and warm spring means bumper crops. Pershore, in Worcestershire, celebrates with a month-long festival featuring plum sausages and other recipes from the festival's Plum Cook Book (pershoreplumfestival.org.uk)

Rosie Lovell of Brixton's retro-feel deli has a recipe for Plum Clafoutis in her new book Spooning With Rosie (£18.99, Fourth Estate).

Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Stone and chop 450g of Victoria plums into 2.5cm pieces. Butter a baking dish and scatter the fruit into this. Beat two medium free-range eggs in a bowl and add 50g plain flour so that it forms a smooth paste. Gradually add 75ml double cream and 150ml milk and 50g caster sugar so that it becomes a creamy batter. Add 1 tbsp Calvados before pouring the mix over the fruit. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Serves 4.

1 comment:

the recipe orphan said...

I was wondering if you would help me. I've just set up a blog. And by just I mean, just this morning. It requires people to contribute to make it work, the premise is simple.

My childhood mealtimes were often seasoned with tears and tantrums (and not always from us kids). But the biggest tragedy is that I have no family recipes to hand down. So can I'm looking for geninue family recipes from other peoples'.

I’ll give them a go and post the results. Hopefully immortalising a world of family mealtimes for everyone to share.

If this appeals can you send me a genuine recipe from your family and can you please publicise the site on your blog.

If people don't feed it the site will just die. You can check it out here
http://recipeorphan.blogspot.com/

Many thanks

The recipe orphan